CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

From 06/01/08 Vid: Giant Pacific Acorn Barnacle (Balanus nubilis)

Wow, look at this! Two days in a row I managed to blog.

We went to the Keystone Jetty today. It was the 4th (fun) dive of the O/W kiddies. This was the dive they were to plan on their own and execute it. At the end of the qualifying dive (over 15 feet for over 15 minutes) they were certified scuba divers. Yay!

Anyways, I shot this video today. It's super short, but it turned out alright. You can click right beneath the video itself to go to my Flickr page to see more pictures I have taken, if you would like.

Viz was bad, so taking pictures wasn't much fun, so I'm surprised this quick clip turned out as well as it did. Current was bookin' through the pilings pretty good and it was very difficult to stay in place and shoot. Very pretty Cirripedia (the feathered fingers) extend from the shell to efficiently kick planktonic food and detritus into their shells. Some of these (usually at deeper depths,) can grow up to 12" in diameter.

Julie, Paul & I stopped at the Tyee for lunch and then I headed home, took care of my gear and then I mowed my lawn.

Monday comes early, after work, I head back up to the North End to sit in on the new kiddies coming in. It's Introductory night to WIDC and that's a lot of fun. *groan*

No rest for the wicked.

*Side note: Gas prices on the island: $4.26 p/g

0 comments: