CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 4, 2008

From 5/31/08 Sun-Flower Stars (Pycnapodia helianthoides)

*Kit Note: Sorry to do this, but I am going to post a few (b)logs here from a previous Blog that I owned - I want to put everything in one place so, just notice the dates on these 3 (b)logs.


Sun Flower Stars
Originally uploaded by PierPressure
By far, one of my most favorite underwater invertebrates, the Sun Flower Star. Found commonly from Alaska to Southern California, they are found to be the largest in the Puget Sound & British Columbia area.

The Sunflower Star is the largest, heaviest, and most active of the Pacific coast sea stars. They are very soft and flexible creatures, which can bear up to 24 arms in adults with an arm radius of over 15 inches. (That's 30" total, guys!)

They are very predatory and have impressively fast mobility.

While they vary from brown, purple, orange, yellow and red, my favorite is shown in this picture. They look like they're backlit. I took this picture at the Langley Tire Reef, in Langley, Washington on beautiful Whidbey Island.

(...on a side note, I've not posted to this blog since Sept 07. I'm going to try to be better. I've got a lot going on in my life right now, with diving, work, job offers, courses I'm taking, general housekeep and maintenance, some 'semblance of a social &/or romantic life and I just need to figure out how to juggle it all. I am going to try to use this blog more for scuba diving adventures and try not to be so bitchy about things that piss me off....Wish me luck)

0 comments: